Tompkins Cortland Community College

Enrollment Services

International Admissions

International students on F-1 visas have to be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credits each semester enrolled at Tompkins Cortland. Other international students under applicable visa status’ may enroll as either part-time (fewer than 12 credits) or full-time students.

Students must have a high school diploma prior to enrollment and admission to the College. However, certain degree programs, such as nursing, require specific academic credentials. Admission to these programs will be based upon an evaluation of the applicant's credentials or special achievements to date.

It is very important that applications contain complete and accurate credentials. As an open admission institution, we pride ourselves on helping students find their next educational steps with us. All students are required to take placement exams in order for us to best advise and register students in appropriate coursework.

Enrollment for students on F-1 visas

Read and fill out the online application completely and accurately.

Documents needed before application

  • A copy of your ID page (with your picture on it) in your Passport or Government Identification card
  • English Proficiency documentation
  • Financial documentation
  • Your statement of purpose

Note: Please abide by our deadlines and be prepared with a credit card for payment of the mandatory $50 application fee.

Evidence of proficiency

You must submit proof of proficiency in reading, writing, and speaking English to pursue college level work. Students of non-English speaking countries must take the TOEFL exam and have a minimum score of 55 (Internet-based), or attain a minimum score of 4.5 on the IELTS.

Evidence of these scores is required as part of your online application process. International students already residing in the United States may be waived TOEFL/IELTS requirements by completing our Accuplacer placement exam instead.

Official transcripts

All candidates are required to submit official transcripts from all schools, universities, and colleges attended. Certified translation of each transcript into English must be provided if the documents are not in English.

Ability to pay

All candidates must provide evidence of their financial support by submitting a variety of the following scanned and submitted with your online application. Financial ability to pay for your education is required by Federal Regulation before processing any visa paperwork.

All original documents should be sent separately to our admissions office for verification of originality. Please review our estimated budget breakdown to plan for the documents you must submit.

Candidates must send:

  • Letters of sponsor support (i.e. if you are living with a family member while coming to school, or if you submit another person’s bank statements they must send an originally signed letter stating their intention to support your education, etc.);
  • Bank statements showing a current balance to support your education
  • A Scholarship letter of support
  • Other applicable documents to show the combination of funding to support your education and living expenses while in the United States.

Immunization records

Students who are offered admission to the College must submit immunization records and complete the international student health form prior to testing and registration.

Applying for on-campus housing

On-campus housing is available to students who apply by the appropriate deadline and complete the housing criteria checklist as well as submit the housing contract (send original with original bank statements). Housing during regular College breaks is available, except the week between Dec. 25 and the beginning of the next calendar year.


Direct any questions to the Assistant Director of Admissions.

International Transcript Translation Services

All documents submitted for review must be official; that is, they must be either originals or copies certified by authorized persons. (A "certified" copy is one that bears either an original signature of the registrar or other designated school official or an original impression of the institution's seal.) Uncertified copies are not acceptable. If these official documents are in a foreign language, they must be accompanied by an official English translation from an accredited translation agency (see note below).

The College cannot assume responsibility for the return of any documents you provide in support of your application for admission. You should not submit diplomas or original single copies of records that cannot be replaced.

Also, please be certain to use your legal name exactly as it appears on your passport on all applications and related documents and correspondence.

Document Translation Note:

The College will only accept translations from accredited credential evaluation services. NACES has a listing of all the services currently accredited, yet we suggest using WES (link and info below) as they are located in New York.

National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)

World Education Services (WES)

WES Evaluation options (and evaluation time)

WES Fees

International students already in the U.S.

International students who are already in the United States and would like to transfer to Tompkins Cortland should follow the same steps as a new international student.

Financial documents must be no more than six months old for review for visa documentation. Please submit updated documents if these have not been produced in the past six months.